When your body says no
One 'advantage' of surgery is that my body cannot tolerate certain foods. Since surgery, I have been eating low carb, less gluten, less milk, and less sugar. This is partly to lose/maintain weight, but it is also because I get nauseous and sick if I eat too much of these. Unfortunately, I can eat it some, before I get sick.
Case in point:
This past weekend, we had a lot of things going on. We had a Girl Scout event, a church picnic, and another event. Two of these events involved food. Good food. Comfort food that I love. Foods that I haven't had for a long time. I'm sure you can see where I am going with this.
Now, the Girl Scout event had food, but since it was a huge event, the food was limited. So, I really didn't eat too poorly while there. They just didn't have a lot of options for me to get myself in trouble.
Unfortunately for me, church picnics are of the devil! In my part of the world, a church picnic means potluck and everyone brings their favorite dish to share. Now, I don't know anyone who brings crappy food to a church picnic. It is all tasty, carb heavy, and sugar-laden. Now, don't get me wrong, pre-surgery, church picnics were among my most favorite events. So many tasty things to try! I loved going to church picnics! But, now, they are so hard! I can only resist temptation for so long because I go crazy!
So, I tasted a little of this. Then I tasted a little of that. And, it was all SOOOOO good! My church ladies can cook and every dish is huge so that they can feed an army! Now, I started feeling a little sick and nauseous, but I continued to eat stuff I know will only make this process worse. Because I can't resist the church ladies!!
I probably would have been a little sick, but ok if I had just gone right to bed. However, I got cocky and ate some sugary stuff before bed. Now, I know this is a bad idea, but I'm not listening to my body. So, the nausea escalated and I found myself vomiting in the bathroom. I was so sick and weak that I ended up laying on the cold bathroom floor between episodes. I was SOOOOOO sick! My husband found me in the bathroom, and being a smart man, he didn't say anything. He just helped me up and helped me into bed.
I am grateful that the next day I was no longer ill and I did better on my eating. I am also grateful for the opportunity to start over and begin again. That is the point. Being able to pick yourself up and try again the next day. As I mentioned before, I am now in the mental stage of the process. Learning to control and conquer these feelings and temptations. Wish me luck!
Case in point:
This past weekend, we had a lot of things going on. We had a Girl Scout event, a church picnic, and another event. Two of these events involved food. Good food. Comfort food that I love. Foods that I haven't had for a long time. I'm sure you can see where I am going with this.
Now, the Girl Scout event had food, but since it was a huge event, the food was limited. So, I really didn't eat too poorly while there. They just didn't have a lot of options for me to get myself in trouble.
Unfortunately for me, church picnics are of the devil! In my part of the world, a church picnic means potluck and everyone brings their favorite dish to share. Now, I don't know anyone who brings crappy food to a church picnic. It is all tasty, carb heavy, and sugar-laden. Now, don't get me wrong, pre-surgery, church picnics were among my most favorite events. So many tasty things to try! I loved going to church picnics! But, now, they are so hard! I can only resist temptation for so long because I go crazy!
So, I tasted a little of this. Then I tasted a little of that. And, it was all SOOOOO good! My church ladies can cook and every dish is huge so that they can feed an army! Now, I started feeling a little sick and nauseous, but I continued to eat stuff I know will only make this process worse. Because I can't resist the church ladies!!
I probably would have been a little sick, but ok if I had just gone right to bed. However, I got cocky and ate some sugary stuff before bed. Now, I know this is a bad idea, but I'm not listening to my body. So, the nausea escalated and I found myself vomiting in the bathroom. I was so sick and weak that I ended up laying on the cold bathroom floor between episodes. I was SOOOOOO sick! My husband found me in the bathroom, and being a smart man, he didn't say anything. He just helped me up and helped me into bed.
I am grateful that the next day I was no longer ill and I did better on my eating. I am also grateful for the opportunity to start over and begin again. That is the point. Being able to pick yourself up and try again the next day. As I mentioned before, I am now in the mental stage of the process. Learning to control and conquer these feelings and temptations. Wish me luck!
Comments
Post a Comment