Achievements
I feel like I should make a list of my current achievements since surgery. It is easy to get bogged down in what I don't like or can't do and to forget about what I can do. So, here are a few of my accomplishments in the last 15 months. I also feel like I need to be direct and honest, so some of these pare pretty personal.
1) I am able to drive our little manual transmission car.
I was too big and my legs too short and I couldn't work the pedals before surgery.
2) I am able to easily hug my kids.
When I was so heavy, it was very difficult to hug my kids. I just physically, could not do it. I am a touchy person, so it has been wonderful to be able to do this with my kids. On this same note, I can also cuddle up with my kids on the couch (particularly my baby. She loves to cuddle!) with plenty of room to spare.
3) I was able to out walk a person 20+ years my junior.
I went for a walk with a coworker a while back and I was waiting on her! She is averaged sized and I kept having to slow my walking down for her. I can't remember, ever, being the "fast one".
4) I was able to hike almost 3 miles, down a steep decline, and made it back up to the top.
I wasn't fast, but I did it!
5) I am able to walk up a flight of stairs without stopping for a break.
When I first did this, it was quite an emotional moment. We have a basement, and I had stopped going down there unless absolutely necessary. It was too hard. Now, I try to take the stairs whenever I can.
6) I can wrap a towel around my body
Yeah, this one may seem silly, but I haven't been able to do this in quite a while.
7) I am able to wear tie shoes again.
It was too difficult to bend over, so I had to wear slip-on shoes. I just couldn't reach them to tie them.
8) I am easily able to take care of my hygiene issues.
This sounds weird, but when you are so fat, it is very difficult to do basic hygiene for yourself. Cleaning all the areas well and even wiping your bottom can become a production.
9) Sex is better
'Nuf said
10) I am sleeping better.
Prior to surgery, I had to get a bipap machine to combat sleep apnea. I slept better with the machine, but it is still not great sleep. I have been able to take off the bipap machine and I am sleeping pretty well. Before surgery, I was falling asleep whenever I sat still. Not a great thing.
This is not an all inclusive list. But, it is always great to list the progress. Especially when you have bad days.
Comments
Post a Comment