In the beginning...
I have been overweight and obese my entire life. There was a short time, pre-puberty, when I was somewhat "normal" (I have a few pictures that seem to indicate that this was true), but I really don't remember not being overweight. It was part of my identity. It was just the way things were.
Over the years, my weight has fluctuated drastically. When I graduated from high school, I was around 200 pounds. I remember being 315 pounds at one point in my career because it was "the highest I had ever been". I went back down to about 215 pounds when I got married in 2003, but the weight slowly started inching up. At one point, I weighed 365 pounds and this was "the highest I had ever been". I worked hard and lost about 100 pounds and all was better. Unfortunately, the weight started creeping up again and I hit 426 pounds, which truly is the "highest I have ever been".
In the beginning, I spent a lot of time being sick and lost a lot of weight. My stomach went from being able to hold approximately 32 ounces to approximately 2-4 ounces. The toilet and I formed a tight bond as I spent a lot of time seeing my meals again, right after I had eaten them. I was nauseous and vomiting regularly (some times multiple times a day!) for at least the first 9-10 months. Eventually, this slowed down and my stomach can now hold approximately 8 ounces.
By March of 2018, I had lost approximately 170 pounds! My body was starting to stabilize some what (translation: I wasn't throwing up every day) and I was starting to feel "normal" again. Whatever, normal feels like.
I have been thinking about starting a blog for quite some time. It is hard to be honest with yourself and to keep yourself motivated and moving forward. While the first year was very difficult physically, I am starting to realize that the second year (and beyond), will probably be the biggest challenge. It's "easy" to lose weight when you are sick and throwing up all the time. It is much more difficult to figure out the mental part of weight loss and health. People don't just get fat because they are lazy. It is a very complicated story of doubt, self doubt, and self loathing.
I feel that it is important to share my story. Partly because I don't feel like I was properly prepared for the surgery (even though I did a lot of reading and research) and if I can help someone else to understand it, I feel like this is a great thing. However, I also know that it can be helpful to self-reflect and work on figuring out how I am going to live my life from here. Because, everything has changed. Or, at least it should.
Comments
Post a Comment